[access-uk] Re: An Audio Question

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:27:15 +0100

The way MP3 and many compressed formats work is through work done on the
normal human hearing response and the realisation that some information
can be reasonably discarded and left to the brain and hearing organs to
fill in to give you sound that is to all intents and purposes good
enough (for the majority of the hearing population).  Most of this
hearing population will not care and would possibly not even hear the
difference unless a very good side by side comparison was made.

If you were then to mix an MP3 format with some sort of hearing loss
then it is possible that the losses of the hearer and those induced by
the coding scheme may interact in some way that is noticeable, perhaps
more so than as with normal hearing response for which the coding scheme
is modelled.  Sepcificlally many of these schems are based on perceptual
coding where frequencies that are the same in the audio programme
material are discareded in the encoding process thereby reducing the
data stream, this is why MP3 might sound thinner or more "wishy washy"
than the original.

I listen quite a bit to AAC at about 256 kbits and this is pretty good
and I find quite tolerable but by no means perfect.  However if you are
really keen on your hi-fi then this wouldn't be and you would be better
off with a really good CD player and electronics plus speakers.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Technical Support
Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing, Summerhouse Road, Moulton Park, NN3 6WD

Web : www.sightandsound.co.uk

Email: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Support: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line:   0845 634 7979
                        01604 798 000

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.
Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a trading subsidiary of 2nd
Phoenix Limited.

Registered Address -
Blenheim House,
York Road,