[access-uk] A hole in the system.

  • From: Colin r. Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 16:30:34 +0100

Greetings,

One of my current accounts is with Lloyds/TSB on wich I have a Visa Debit
card.

In mid-July, I visited my branch in Swanwick, near Fareham Hampshire, this
being a sub-branch of Fareham, to pay, by means of fast payment, a
Lloyds/TSB customer located elsewhere.

A few days after my transaction had been processed, the customer contacted
me, having received a phone call from a company doing research on behalf of
Lloyds/TSB, asking about the customer's satisfaction with the service
received from Swanwick.  At first, the person was somewhat bemused suddenly
to receive such a call and only when it had been established the call
concerned service at **Swanwick** did the customer realize it must in some
way be concerning our recent transaction.

The person phoned me in a bemused state for, not only had the call come out
of the blue, the customer has never been to the Swanwick branch and at least
some of the information given about the customer was incorrect.

The person sent me an email which, I, adding their account details and phone
numbers, a few days later,  visited my branch and passed over the printed
email.

In due course, the manager called the customer and had what I believe to be
a reassuring chat with them.

I visited my branch yesterday late morning and met with the manager who
explained I had found a hole in the system.

It seems what had happened is, because my transaction was a fast payment, it
means my account was debitted, the other creditted, each being a seprate
transaction, linked to my branch at Swanwick.

It seems the research company pick any five customers each day to ask about
service;  they have no knowledge of the accounts concerned, just a name and
the fact a transaction with Swanwick took place.

Needless to say, the other customer happened to be the one picked, it
rightfully ought to have been me.
The manager advised me this is the first time such a situation has been
notified to the branch and an appropriate report to amend the system has
already been filed.

This email has been sent to you by Colin Howard, who lives in a small place
about 8 miles east of Southampton in Southern England.