[1stPickSites] Normal for Us: The Miller Twins

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stPickSites@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:09:23 -0700

I just watched the most fascinating story on PBS TV
~~~

Normal for Us: The Miller Twins
http://www.opb.org/programs/millertwins/
It's a once in a lifetime scenario: only in Alaska, only the tenacious and
resilient Miller family, only these unique, astonishing wheelchairs. The
combination of place, spirit and machine is the stuff of what inspires us:
To do something difficult and worthwhile. And to do it without any thought
of sympathy or what the neighbors might say.
Cindy and Fritz Miller learned in 1989 that their infant twins, Mariya and
Michelle, both had Type II Spinal Muscular Atrophy. This type of disability
portends a lifetime of round-the-clock care and frequent sickness and, in
most cases, profoundly limits one's ability to enjoy a "normal" lifestyle.
Fritz and Cindy, however, are tough, ingenious people, fiercely devoted to
their five children. So, in Fritz's words, he and his wife rose to the
occasion.
The Millers rebuilt their home, literally from the ground up, to accommodate
the twins' special needs. Their house is totally wheelchair accessible - a
veritable funhouse with function - no limits -- with wide ramps and open
spaces. The parents re-designed the family's routines to include the girls
in every activity. And, since no commercial power wheelchairs offered the
kind of mobility the Millers wanted for their kids, Fritz and Cindy Miller
along with a family friend, Jim Van Sickle, built their own.
++ There is more on the web site.
~~~
http://www.opb.org/programs/millertwins/faq.html

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike