[1stPickPCHelp] XP SP2 Has the Pole Position

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:27:01 -0700

XP SP2 Has the Pole Position as Microsoft Races to Complete Major
Security Update
   As Windows users who are plagued by security problems eagerly await
Microsoft's oft-delayed Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) release, signs
have finally started to indicate that the wait, at long last, is
coming to an end. First, Microsoft Australia mistakenly reported that
the company had released SP2 to manufacturing, then quickly retracted
the announcement. Then, yesterday, sources told me that Microsoft
Windows Update V5, the next-generation version of Microsoft's
software-updating service on which SP2's software-updating features
are based, has been completed. Taken together, these two events
suggest that we'll see the Web release of XP SP2 within a week.
   As with earlier service packs, Microsoft will release SP2 in
stages. The product will first be available for download to premier
customers, then to the general public on the company's Web site (the
so-called release to Web--RTW), at which time Microsoft will also
begin taking orders for the free CD-ROM-based version of the product.
Then, 2 weeks later, SP2 will be available through Automatic Updates
and Windows Update. By early September, PC makers will begin shipping
new PCs with the software installed.
   Although XP SP2 offers much-needed security improvements over
currently shipping versions of the OS, you shouldn't take the release
lightly. Some of the upgrade's new security features will break
existing Web sites, intranet sites, and custom applications.
Customers, particularly corporate customers, should evaluate SP2
carefully before deploying it. Nevertheless, my advice is to install
SP2 as soon as possible. Regardless of potential incompatibilities,
simply installing this release will result in a more secure
environment.

From; News & Views by Paul Thurrott, thurrott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.winnetmag.com/

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "info 1stpickpchelp" without the
quotes.

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe