[1stPickPCHelp] Re: Slow Computer

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:20:16 -0800

Hi Roland,
It may be a bug in the program, I think it was with Mcafee AV.
You could check on Norton's web site in their FAQ's to see if it has a
similar bug.

If you have Office or Word or Outlook running with the auto backup to is
default set to 5 min I belive.
see;
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/howto/story/0,24330,3409432,00.html

It is also a factor of how many programs you have running in the background;
Anti-Virus, firewall, screensaver, office applications, popup blocker ect.

Here are a couple of good sites to help understand resources;

Startup Problems
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

Many new users are concerned about the low level of system resources
available to them.  Much of the problem can be due to the number of programs
which are loaded and run when the system starts up.
~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html
Most people know that the more programs you have running on your computer at
once, the more likely it is that your computer will either run slowly or
even crash. What most people don't know is that every time you boot your
computer a whole mess of "hidden" programs load in the background. Some of
these hidden programs are essential, but most aren't. Turning off some of
these hidden programs can significantly increase your computer's performance
and reliability.
~~~~~~~

Also I recommend to those using Windows 9X that they re-boot every couple of
days due to a known resource leak in Windows.

MS
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278368

Memory Leak Found In Windows Me
By: Mark Hachman
<http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D201%2526a%253D8748,00.asp>
The Windows ME operating system from Microsoft Corp. contains a memory leak
that has apparently not been fixed, according to a lengthy chain of emails
provided by an ExtremeTech reader.
ET reader Matt Vlasaty, a Chicago-based electrical engineer, discovered that
when after opening large files of 200-Mbytes or so --such as Outlook email
attachments or Usenet downloads?Windows Millennium Edition did not then
increase the amount of free memory after the files were closed.
++
From; ExtremeTech Weekly
www.extremetech.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is your Operating System, CPU, and how much memory do you have?

You may also wish to clean out your temp files, temporary internet files,
and cookies.

Then do a cold boot, shutdown the computer, wait a couple of min. then
restart.
This clears the cache memory and will often improve performance.

I hope this helps.

Seasons Greetings ~ My Christmas card
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikesxmas_2002.htm

See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member

On 19/12/2002 at 7:23 PM argie51 wrote:

Sorry Mike, I didn't realize that would happen.  Here goes again.

I've noticed that my CPU is running 100% capacity. For instance when I am
doing a search for a file or when Outlook Express is open,  I'm get a
warning from Norton Utilities that my CPU is using 100% of its
resources.Seems to me that shouldn't be.  What's also slow is programs
opening. Any ideas?  <Please Advise>

Ronald

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "info 1stpickpchelp" without the