[1stPickPCHelp] RAM, Virtual Memory, PageFile and all that stuff

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:43:08 -0800

RAM, Virtual Memory, PageFile and all that stuff

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/WindowsGeneralWeb/RAMVirtualMemoryPageFileEtc
.htm

This article explains some aspects of the Virtual Memory implementation in
Windows 2000, XP, 2003 Server etc.  It is intended for a general audience
that has an interest in the relationship between RAM (Random Access Memory),
Address Spaces, Virtual Memory and pagefile in those systems.  An
abbreviated version of this article is available at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555223.

The article is arranged with basic information covering the scope of the
article in 1. Basic Concepts with more details in 2. Additional Detail.
This should enable the casual reader to get basic information without
getting buried in detail, but those interested in a greater understanding
can read the detailed material further down in the article.

This article is mainly concerned with 32 bit Windows versions, but most of
the discussion is equally applicable to 64 bit versions.  See 3. 64 Bit
Processors and Address Spaces for some information specifically about 64 bit
versions.
++ There is more on the web site.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "info 1stpickpchelp" without the
quotes.

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe