<USS Eagle> "Long Overdue"

  • From: Gwen <GwenivereMarqusa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:32:47 -0500

:ON:

     Gwen walked into the Eagle's Nest and looked around.  Not noticing anyone she walked over to the replicator and ordered some food.  Taking her meal she moved over to an empty table.
      Lt. Haas wasn't certain why he felt the urge to go to the Eagle's Nest.  There was more work he had wanted to get done.  He wanted to see if he could find any references to the "light" people that the Eagle crew had rescued from the energy anomaly.
     But, for some reason he had decided to go to the ship's lounge.  When he walked through the doors, he saw why.  With a wide smile on his face he walked over to the table where Gwen was sitting.
     "Is this seat taken, Commander?"  He asked.  He knew his friendship with Gwen went beyond using rank titles, but Rommie still liked to kid with her a bit.
     Gwen looked up at Rommie and smiled, "Commander, eh?  As for the seat, no, it's not taken . . . yet."
     "It is now," Haas said as he sat down opposite her.  "What you having for lunch?"
     "Vegetable beef stew and strawberry banana orange juice."  Noticing that he didn't have any food.  "Not eating?"
     "I wasn't really hungry," he said eyeing her juice.  "But, now... I'll be right back."
     Rommie quickly got up and crossed the room.  He ordered a BLT on white toast and a strawberry-banana-orange juice.  He looked over his shoulder at Gwen as he was waiting for his order to be processed.
     Gwen chuckled as Rommie went to get food.  She took another bite of her stew and watched him while he waited.  She wondered why he had come to the Nest if he wasn't hungry.  Gwen was glad he did, but still curious.
      Rommie grabbed his order from the replicator and went back to the table.  He again sat down across from Gwen.
     "I am not sure why I even came down here," He said in all honesty, "But, hey, any chance to share a lunch with you is a chance not to miss."
     "Well, if you wouldn't work like 18 hours a day, we could probably do this more often."  She said teasingly.  His strong sense of duty and workaholic nature were two things she really admired about him.
     "I'm just trying to earn that extra pip," Rommie said between bites of his sandwich.  "Put us on an even keel again, so I can ask you out."
     Gwen tried not to blush at that comment.  She finished off her stew before commenting,  "You don't need that extra pip to do that ya know."
     "That's not what I hear," Rommie said, trying to keep the humor out of his voice.  "Word through out the ship is you won't date beneath you."
     Trying not to laugh, "I know, I started that rumor.  I didn't want just anyone asking me out ya know.  Just think of all the people who would try to do that?  I would really hate to break a lot of people's hearts."
     "Yeah,"  Rommie agreed.  His tone indicated she wasn't totally off the track with her statement.  "I'd have to start throwing my weight around as Second officer to scare them away."
     "You think you'd have that much luck?  Some of the crew are very determined ya know."
     "Oh, I know that would do it," Rommie said sarcastically.  "You know how scared they all are of the stuttering lieutenant."
     Gwen laughed at that, "Yeah, you're more scary then Commander Bass himself."
     Rommie laughed good-naturedly at that.  He took a sip from his juice and looked across the table at Gwen.  It hadn't even occurred to him that not once during the conversation with Gwen had he stammered a word.
     Gwen sat back in her chair and relaxed.  She always enjoyed a good laugh. "So, what work are you ignoring to spend the lunch hour in here?"
     "Just some research on those beings we rescued," Rommie told her.  "For some reason, they seem familiar, but I am not sure why."
     "They definitely were interesting creatures.  I wasn't overly keen on their method of communication though."
     "Dr. Melody seemed even more displeased than you," Haas said.  "It's one of those times makes me happy Rigellians aren't psi-sensative."
     "Yeah, sometimes I wish I wasn't either."
     Gwen finished her juice and set the glass inside the empty bowl.
     "So, listen," Rommie said suddenly.  "What do you have planned for off shift tonight?"
     "Only catching up on my reading.  But I'd be up for something else."
     "Well, I hear Lt. Horini is running a Treng Dorsie film marathon, tonight."  Treng Dorsie was a late twenty-first century actor who had starred in a full string of action vids.  "I was wondering if you'd like to go with me to watch?"
     "Sure.  I can always read another night.  Though, this is going to ruin my rumor."  Gwen said with a grin.
     "We'll come up with a good excuse," Haas joked.  "You can always say it's a pity date cause you got picked to be AXO over me."
     Gwen laughed.  "There ya go.  Gotta keep my rumor in place.  So, what time is this marathon?"
     "It starts at 18:00 hours," Rommie said.  "But, I know the second vid is one of the best, so how about if I pick you up around 19:30?.... or you can pick me up.  Beings you're on the pity date."
     "Okay, 1930 it is.  I'll pick you up, you can use the extra time to work on more work."
     "Sounds like a date to me, XO." Rommie finished off his lunch.  "I really look forward to it."
     "It should be fun.  I've never seen any of them."  Gwen stood up and grabbed her dishes.  "I guess it's time to get back to work."

:OFF:

Lt. Commander Gwenivere Marqusa
AXO/CSec/Tac
USS Eagle