[TechAssist] Re: RCA D40W20 Convergence service menu

  • From: <tvservice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:10:48 -0500

Hope this makes sense copied from service disc

MODEL D40W20YX1    CHASSIS ATC221
ALIGNMENT PROCEDURES
Page 3-1
Operating Conditions
Unless otherwise noted, the following conditions must be
observed when aligning the ATC221 chassis:
Chassis must be operated from a 120VAC isolation
transformer, with line voltage set to 120VAC (±2.0V).
Picture controls (black level, contrast, etc.) must be set to
factory presets via the Picture Quality menu.
Procedures must be performed in the sequence given.
A 10X probe must be used for oscilloscope and frequency
measurements.
The audio output leads must not be shorted together or to
ground with the chassis on.
All video signals must have -40 IRE sync tips unless
specified otherwise.
Chassis AC power must be removed for 10 seconds before
disconnecting any cable.
A 3-minute warm-up is required for chassis or module
related alignments. A 15-minute warm-up is required for
Kine or Convergence related alignments.
Note: Before reconnecting AC Power wait a minimum of
60 seconds. This allows the system control circuit
to reset. The LED will blink twice to indicate
reset.
Required Test Equipment
- Dual-Trace Oscilloscope
- Digital Voltmeter
- Frequency Counter
- Audio Signal Generator
- NTSC Signal Generator (B&K 1249, or equivalent)
- MTS Signal Generator (B&K 2009, or equivalent)
- Sweep/Marker Generator (or Standard Signal
Generator)
- YPrPb Signal Generator (DVD player w/YPrPb)
- DC Power Supply (5.0V/0.25A) for TAG001
- Chipper Check ® software
- Chipper Check ® interface box and computer
- Personal Computer (IBM Compatible w/ CD ROM and
Sound Card)
Service Mode
Most of the alignments for this chassis are software-driven.
Most of the alignments must be accessed and modified
through the front panel service mode.
Entering the TV Service Mode Using the Front Panel
Controls
1. Press and release the POWER button to turn the
instrument off.
2. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN and
CHANNEL DOWN buttons for at least 8 seconds.
3. After 8 seconds the instrument will switch on and
come up with the field service main menu on the
screen. LED will illuminate before the picture comes
up.
The instrument should display the following menu:
Soft-Ver.
Config.
Serial-No.
V1.00-5
W - - V - - - P -
AMN456789XYZ
000002:37
QUIT TUBE
CHASSIS SETUP
VIDEO
GEOMETRY IF
UP DOWN SELECT
ERROR
FEATURE SETUP
CONVERGENCE
Main Menu
The CH /\and CH \/ buttons on the front panel are
used to navigate up or down in the menu.
The VOL + and VOL - buttons on the FPA are used to
select a menu item or decrease or increase a value in a
selection list.
NOTE: Before the Field Service Mode is exited; you must
check STORE or all changes to alignments will be
lost.
The remote control can also be used to navigate the field
service mode.
.Clear button: When this button is pressed the
Field Service Mode disappears and the every-day
TV functions are available.
.Menu button: To re-enter the Field Service
Mode, make a long press on the Menu button. The
service technician re-enters in the same menu
point where he left the Field Service Mode.
.?: This button is used to navigate up in the menu.
.?: This button is used to navigate down in the
menu.
.<: This button is used to select a menu item, to
decrease a value or to select the previous value in
a selection list.
.>: This button is used to select a menu item, to
increase a value or to select the next value in a
selection list.
.OK: This button is used to select or deselect a
menu item.

ATC221
ALIGNMENT PROCEDURES
Page 3-7
To clear the error codes from memory, select the Clear
Error Codes box. A long press will clear all stored codes.
The second method of reading an error code is with the
LED. Only the last error code stored in the NVM can be
read with this method. The LED will blink two separate
digits. Example, if the error code of 23 is the last error code
stored in the NVM, the LED will have 2 short flashes,
followed by a short pause. Then will flash 3 times,
followed by a long pause. This will be repeated 4 times.
First allow the instrument to sit unplugged for 60 seconds.
At plug in the LED will first blink twice to indicate
microprocessor has reset. When an attempt is made to
power up, the instrument will attempt 3 times to start. The
LED will display a series of flashes followed by the error
codes.. The LED will flash the error code 4 times.
Convergence (PTV Models Only)
The ATC221 employs a ditigal convergence circuit that
makes it possible to electronically align up to 208 separate
points on the screen. 3 levels of convergence adjustment is
provided.
Level 1: Provides 9 adjustment points
Level 2: Provides 25 adjustment points
Level 3: Provides 195 adjustment points
Convergence Submenu
It is recommended to adjust Levels 1 and 2 only if repairs
have been made to the Convergence Signal circuitry or
after CRT replacement.
Note: Alignments must be performed in order. If Level 3
is adjusted, prior to Levels 1 or 2, all Level 3
alignments will be lost.
Level 3 Convergence Alignment Submenu
In Level 1 and 2, Press OK to select the color to be aligned.
The position of the adjustment point can adjusted using the
navigation keys (up, down, left and right) on the remote.
Press the 2 key of the remote to move to the next
adjustment point. Press the EXIT/CLEAR key to exit when
completed.
Level 3 alignment works simular to Levels 1 and 2. The
only difference, to move to the next adjustment point press
2 (up), 8 (down), 6 (right) and 4 (left) on the remote unit.
When completed with convergence, press STORE to save
all changes.
Sensor Calibration is used to calculate a reference border
for the autoconvergence photo sensors. Check the box to
begin the process. Autoconvergence starts the
autoconvergence process.
Defaults enters a default submenu. Checking the box loads
a set of default values from the convergence backup NVM
to the Convergence IC RAM. The box will remain checked
until the value is changed or store or restore is pressed in
the convergence submenu.
Note: Before the Convergence Alignement menu
isexited, you must check Store or all settings will
be lost.
LEVEL 3 ALIGNMENT
Return
Alignment Mode
There are 195 points that c an b e a l i g ne d .
The cursor indicates curren t al i gnm en t p o i n t .
Press OK - button to select color to al i g n.
Use Up/Down/Left/Right ke y s to
adjust alignment point.
Use Remote Control keys 2 , 8, 4 & 6 t o
select alignment point.
Press EXIT/CLEAR when d o n e .
CONVERGE NC E AL I G NM E N T
Ret u r n
Le vel 1 (3 x 3 )
Le vel 2 (5 x 5 )
L e v e l 3 ( 1 5 x 1 3 )
Def a ul t s
St or e
R e s t or e
U P D O W N S E L E C T / C H A N G E
S e n s or c a l i br a t i o n
10 80
A u t o c o n v er ge nc e

ALWAYS SELECT "STORE" BETWEEN ALIGNMENTS AND BEFORE EXITING SERVICE MENU

Robert
tvservice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
H & H Electronics Inc