[rollei_list] The Tragedy of the SL66

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:02:25 -0400

At 02:43 PM 4/16/2007, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>All and all a far cooler camera than anything to come out of Sweden the
>SL66.
>I'm not dead yet. Maybe I'll get into it.
>Its just that the Hassy stuff in camera stores now are for free or so close
>to it as to not make any difference.
>This SL66 stuff you proably have to pull out some real green for they just
>won't give it to you for two rolls of film as you walk out the door. But
>exquisite enough in every way. Form - function to be worth real money.
>Noticing again the rail on the left side with all the number on it.
>Magnification and exposure factors.

The great Zeiss maven, Charlie Barringer, has been gnashing his teeth for a decade as he wants an SL66 and has been surprised to note the same thing, Mark: Hasselblad gear is no longer, "Ha$$elblad" gear, but SL66 stuff has managed to hold its price.

The progenitor of the MF SLR was the first Exakta 66 and the Bentzin Primarflex. Hasselblad got into the program shortly before Franke & Heidecke began working on it, but not by many years. In the later 1940's, Hasselblad was a lean company without many fiscal resources and leaned hard on both Kodak and Zeiss for lenses. Still, they never made a deep penetration either in the professional or advanced amatuer community with the 1600F/1000F line, and it was only with the 500C that things changed, though, even so, the 500C only became a significant factor in the pro market in the middle 1960's.

At that time, Franke & Heidecke had bounced back rapidly from the horrors of World War II and was selling every TLR they could produce by the late 1940's. They were relatively flush with money (Zeiss loved F&H as they were a cash customer, unlike other customers of theirs such as Zeiss Ikon, which often paid its bills years in arrears). Franke and Heidecke and the middle management (which then included a number of the Voigtländer family, by the by) failed to see the way the market was moving and thus felt no pressure to push forward with a medium-format SLR so long as TLR sales held steady.

By 1960, they were starting to flounder: F&H had pretty well worked out all the bells and whistles possible with the technology of the time, from the 2.8F and 3.5F to the Rolleiflex T and the Rolleicord and the Rolleimagic. They just had gone as far as the accessible technology allowed. And then came Ha$$elblad and a number of pros starting shifting especially wedding and portrait photographers, a market Viktor Hasselblad sought. And all that F&H could think up were the Weitwinkel and Tele Mutars and the Weitwinkel and Tele Rolleflex cameras, and these just failed to staunch the flow of red ink which started in the early 1960's. In the end, F&H DID push the SL66 into the marketplace but they were years too late and the marketing was inept. I will not go as far as Mark does in suggesting that the SL66 is a better camera than Göttenburg ever produced, but it certainly is a competitive product.

The Leitz family in Wetzlar and the Franke and Heidecke families in Braunschweig enjoyed making a LOT of money for decades from their camera companies. By the middle 1960's, both families were pouring their personal fortunes to support their companies, and these families eventually sold out after most of their fortunes were gone. The Hasselblad clan were smarter and sold out after they had come to own the top-end MF SLR market but before sales started to slump.

God bless 'em all. Leica and Rolleiflex have survived, in various permutation, and Hasselblad is now effectively dead.

But, had either Franke or Heidecke been less pleased with the market in, say, 1950, then the SL66 would have dominated the upper end of the market, and the company would possibly still be "Franke & Heidecke".

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

---