[rollei_list] Digital Wins

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:34:08 -0400

Digital has won the battle.

I have a huge collection of the world's absolutely finest lenses and
cameras, ranging from a bunch of Rolleiflex, Leica, Contarex, Contaflex,
Contax, Werra, Retina, Ikoflex, &c gear, to some rather pedestrian stuff.
My MF stuff allows me to make pictures which comfortably print quite large
final products.

How often do I need this quality?  Rarely, I am forced to admit.

On the other hand, I have a couple of inexpensive P&S digital cameras.
They can take 256 or so exposures on a single card, each of which will then
be able to be printed to at least 20" by 24" without any noticeable problem
with quality.  And this is all done on the computer:  I never get my hands
wet.

There are several problems with digital at the nonce, the largest one being
that the technology is advancing so rapidly that our pokcetbooks cannot
keep up with the increase in quality unless we are dedicated professionals. =
=20

The second is price.  A really good digital P&S can be had for $250 or so.
But a useable Digital SLR will cost three times that and will be outdated
in six months, while, to this point, no one has yet brought out a Digital
camera which will accomodate the shorter back-focus distances used on RF
camereas.

Now, this might be the time for Rollei to come out with a digital TLR ...

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!