[pedevel] Re: Suggestion for refactoring of PText

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:38:04 -0700

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 17:59 +0200, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If this were a bug in one or two font sets, then taking the position
> > of
> > not working around them is logical and reasonable. But if all (or an
> > overwhelming majority of) the Japanese fonts show this problem, then
> > there would be a strong case for taking the pragmatical rather than
> > purist approach and have a work around so that it is possible to
> > setup a
> > fully Japanese environment in Pe/Haiku.
> >
> > Just FYI, IMHO and FWIW. :)
>
> Point taken - but if this problem is really thorough, it should be
> tried to fix it at the OS level, not in every application that might
> solely want to use monospaced fonts.
> Obviously there is some buggy font creation software that is popular in
> Japan :-)

Yes, a fix at the OS level is definitely preferable.

I actually checked the font info of Konatu, VL-Gothic and Kochi (all
Japanese TT monospaced fonts), and interestingly enough, the proportion
field for all three of them is in fact set to Monospaced. So I have the
feeling the we may be missing something. I will try to investigate and
if I find something useful, will report it on the haiku-development
mailing list.

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic discussion.

Cheers,

Koki