-=PCTechTalk=- Differences between Windows XP Home and XP Pro

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Computer Help and Discussion <Computer_Help_and_Discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Computer Tips & Tricks <Computer_tricks_and_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,PCTechTalk - Freelists <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:39:26 -0500

For those interested in the differences between Windows XP Home and
XP Pro, this is from the Dell site............

Microsoft® Windows®  XP Product Information

Windows XP Home Edition is designed to meet the needs of individual
users and users with small home networks. Windows XP Home Edition
allows users to make the most of their computing experience while
enjoying the security and reliability previously only available in
business class operating systems. Learn more about Windows XP Home

Windows XP Professional contains all the features of Windows XP Home
Edition and includes additional security, remote access, performance,
networking, and manageability features needed by business of all
sizes and by individuals with demanding computing requirements. For
small business, Windows XP Professional provides a flexible
networking foundation that will grow with your business. Learn more
about Windows XP Professional

Which version of Microsoft® Windows®  XP is right for me?

Confused about which version of Windows XP best meets your needs? For
individual consumers or those with small home networks, Windows XP
Home Edition is generally the right choice. Windows XP Home Edition
helps unlock the potential of the personal computer to provide users
with the best of the Internet and digital entertainment. Windows XP
Home Edition supports home networking for up to five users to
simultaneously access shared resources (e.g internet connections,
printers, shared disk drivers, etc.). Windows XP Professional
contains all the features in Windows XP Home Edition plus additional
features for business and power users. If your system will be part of
a corporate domain and/or will be remotely managed, Windows XP
Professional is the best solution.

Features available only in Windows XP Professional

> Peer to peer networking for up to 10 simaltaneous users (Windows XP
Home only supports five simaltaneous users)
> Server-based networking using domain authentication and support for
Active Directory
> Remote Desktop allows you to work from vertually anywhere and
access files, applications and network services from almost any
computer
> Encrypted File System (EFS) helps protect sensitive data, even if
your computer is stolen
> Support for dual processors
> Access Control restricts access to files and folders
> Enhanced software restriction policy allows adminstrators to
identify software and control its ability to execute
> Group Policies allow administrators to organize users into logical
groups and assign settings (security, appearance, management options)
> Offline Files and Folders and Synchronization Manager allow users
to work on documents while disconnected from the network. Offline
folders can be encrypted for protection. Document changes are
replicated back to the network
> System Preparation tool helps administrators clone configurations
and applications for deployment to multiple machines
> Remote OS installation allows Windows XP Professional to be
installed across the network
> Multilingual support allows users to create, read, and edit
documents in many languages using the English language version of
Windows XP Professional
> WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) provides standard
infrastructure for monitoring and managing systems

 Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",

     ,,,,,,,,
     Ô¿Ô¬
  Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
Wednesday
03/05/2003
11:35:33

A right is not what someone gives you; it?s what no one can take from
you.

To unsub or change your email settings:
//www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk

To access our Archives: