[openbeos] DTrace for Haiku

  • From: Brian Verre <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:55:08 -0500

Disclaimer: I am floating this lightly; I personally don't have the skill to
implement this feature.
I have noticed that some FreeBSD developers (http://dtrace.what-creek.com/)
have been having some philosophical differences with Sun, Inc. over whether the
CDDL License(http://www.sun.com/cddl/cddl.html) is "free enough" for a BSD
inclusion. Essentially, it seems they feel just a rewrite of the header files
under BSD would be enough, though I don't understand why (mapybe compile time
opt-out/in?). I understand the MIT license is essentially compatible with
3-clause BSD... Can this CDDL subject can be decidely easily, publically?
Bringing DTrace into the tree would be a huge undertaking, which perhaps a
passionate kernel type might enjoy some day. I've heard many good things, etc,
etc. Maybe an ambitious soul will take the performance/profiling/debugging tool
head on next year... But it would maybe leave the door open if this specific
issue was sorted.
Is this particular license in conflict with the path Haiku is on?
Thanks for any thoughtful responses! (and sorry if I missed a previous answer
on this)
-Brian