UPDATED> ResourceShelf Reminder -- Week 159

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:14:25 -0500

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:56:03 +0100
To: gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ResourceShelf Reminder -- Week 159
From: Gary Price <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ResourceShelf
E-Mail Reminder
Week 159
April 8, 2004
http://www.resourceshelf.com

Greetings from Washington DC.

ResourceShelf is compiled by Gary D. Price, MLIS
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

++++++++++++++
The ResourceShelf REMINDER (this e-mail) contains a PORTION of the
content/links
from the ResourceShelf web site.

Please visit the site to review ALL OF THE CONTENT.
++++++++++++++

Thursday, April 8, 2004

Resources of the Week
Two entries.

1) United States Government--Databases
Telephone Directories
Source: GSA
U.S. Blue Pages
"Welcome to the Federal Government Blue Pages Listings website! Our new and
improved site provides an easy and fast way to search our listings by state,
city, area code, agency or service, and keyword." We all know that "new" does
not necessarily mean "improved," but several nifty features appear to have been

added here, according to the folks at the GSA, who administer this site
++
2) Fast Facts--Advertising and Media
A Collection of Fact and Stat Books
+ Fact Pact 2004 (via Advertising Age)
31 pages of facts! From the site, "Who are the top ad spenders in the U.S. and
on a global basis? What are the hot ads and how much do they cost? Who are the
big ad organizations and how do their agency brands stack up against their
competition? How big and far-reaching are those media monoliths? It's all in
the
FactPack, whether in print form on your desk, or a click away on your computer
or network." Market share info for a few consumer products is also included.
+ Facts About Newspapers 2003 (via Newspaper Association of America)
+ Canadian Newspapers Facts Database (Canadian Newspaper Association)
+ Radio Advertising: 2003-2004 Marketing Guide and Fact Book (via Radio
Advertising Bureau)

Web Search
Ask.com Adds New "Smart Search" Feature: Famous People Search

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Wednesday, April 7, 2004

Web Search
Source: BBC
Life beyond Google
 >From the commentary, "The problem with the overwhelming focus on Google is
that
we end up putting too much faith in one proprietary service without knowing
where the profit-seeking goals of the company may lead its quality down the
road... I am not anti-Google and in fact use its services daily, but it is
important to remember that it is a privately-held company with no obligation to

serving the public interest. We should tread with caution when thinking of it
as
the be all and end all of access to information online. Google is not the only
way to find information online and not everyone uses Google."

eBooks
NetLibrary Launches Book-Of-The-Month Program
 >From the announcement, "The eBook of the Month campaign is a monthly content
promotion designed to showcase new and noteworthy titles available from
netLibrary and encourage patrons to visit your eBook collection. Each month,
netLibrary selects a new featured title and provides free, unlimited access
through the authenticated homepages of more than 8,700 public, academic and
special libraries."

Web Search--Google
Source: PrivacyRights.org
Twenty Eight Privacy and Civil Liberties Organizations Urge Google to Suspend
Gmail

Reference Reviews
Peter's Digital Reference Shelf, April 2004 Is Now Online
In April, Peter Jacso reviews:
+ A & E Biography
He writes, "This collection of biographies got not only a facelift but also a
brainlift, resulting in enhanced content and slightly better software that can
finally perform full-text searches instead of just searching the name in the
header of the biographic articles. It, however, still can't stop if there is no

real match."
--
+ MetaCritic
Jacso writes, "A smart and beautifully designed resource for getting

and links to full-text reviews. Encore, maestro, encore."

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents
Social Security
Source: SSA
New Releases from the Social Security Administration
+ New, Social Security Programs Throughout the World: The Americas, 2003
Reports covering Asia & the Pacific, Europe, and Africa are also available.
++
Religion
Source: Pew Internet and American Life Project
Released Today, Full Text Research Report, Faith Online
"64% of wired Americans have used the Internet for spiritual or religious
purposes."
++
Legislation--Canada
Source: Parliamentary Research Branch
Legislative Summaries - Third Session, 37th Parliament
The PRB has added 15 summaries to their site.

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Tuesday, April 6, 2004

Information Retrieval
Source: Computerworld
Another Article About "Future Search" Tools and Web Search Research
1) QueryTracker
2) The Work of Jeannette Jenssen, a mathematics professor at Dalhousie
University in Halifax, Nova Scotia
3) The Work of Filippo Menczer at Indiana University
4) WebFountain from IBM

Information Visualization--Anacubis
Very Cool (And Maybe Even Useful): Anacubis Releases Two New Demos, Free!
Anacubis, a UK-based info visualization company (part of the i2 Group), has
launched two new free demos that might be of interest and value to you. Here's
what's new:
+ Visualize Business Information
Visualize info pertaining to key executives, affiliates, and subsidiaries for
over 40,000 companies. Entities within the search results are shown as icons
and
the relationships between them as dynamic links. Also included is some
high-level financial info. This tool uses the free data set that's available at

Hoover's.com. Business searchers will love this one!
+ Visualize European Patent Info
Enter a patent number and go, it's that simple.

Government Documents--United States
Government Printing Office--United States
Source: GCN
GPO gets a grip on its glut
 >From the article, "The Government Printing Office will start assigning
digital
signatures to congressional bills, as well as the hundreds of documents
agencies
produce each month, to address its problem of preserving electronic documents."

Professional Reading Shelf
Librarians
Source: The Institute of Museum and Library Services
IMLS Publishes RFP for National Study on the Future of Librarians in the
Workforce
Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (3 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Intellectual Property
Congressional Research Service
Source: CRS (via Franklin Pierce Law Center)
Franklin Pierce Law Center Updates CRS Page With Numerous New/Recently Updated
IP-Related CRS Reports
19 additions to the page. Here are a few titles:
+ Taxing Internet Transactions
+ Safe Harbor for Service Providers Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
from Unsuitable Material on the Web
+ "Junk E-Mail": An Overview of Issues and Legislation Concerning Unsolicited
Commercial Electronic Mail ("Spam")
+ Internet Voting
+ "Sensitive But Unclassified" and Other Federal Security Controls on
Scientific
and Technical Information: History and Current Controversy
+ Regulation of Broadcast Indecency: Background and Legal Analysis
+ Internet Taxation: Issues and Legislation in the 108th Congress RL31929 March

8, 2004
+ Legal Issues Related to Prescription Drug Sales on the Internet

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Monday, April 5, 2004

Professional Reading Shelf (4 Items Listed on the Web Site)
The Library of Congress
Learn About the Federal Research Division at The Library of Congress
++
Scholarly Publishing...Updated OFAC Ruling Removes Government Restrictions on
Papers from Authors in Embargoed Countries (via IEEE)
++
Scholarly Publishing...The National Academies Provide Free Scientific
Information to Developing Nations

Health Research Update (2 Items Listed on the Web Site)
National Health Service--United Kingdom
+ New Content from British Medical Journal Added to NHS Web Site
+ Improvements Made to PubMed

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (7 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Employment--United States--Lists & Rankings
Source: BLS
Just Released, 20 Leading Occupations of Employed Women
++
Philanthropy--United States
Source: Foundation Center
Released Today, Foundation Growth and Giving Estimates
++
Information Technology--Security
Source: GCN
New, New vulnerability database offers free security data

Pulitzer Prizes
Announced Today, 2004 Pulitzer Prize Winners--Journalism

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Sunday, April 4, 2004

Professional Reading Shelf
Scholarly Publishing
Source: Nature
Access to the Literature: The Debate Continues
"The Internet is profoundly changing how scientists work and publish. New
business models are being tested by publishers, including open access, in which

the author pays and content is free to the user. This ongoing web focus will
explore current trends and future possibilities. Each week, the website will
publish specially commissioned insights and analysis from leading scientists,
librarians, publishers and other stakeholders, as well as key links, and
articles from our archive. All content is available free."

Library Briefs (2 Items Listed on the Web Site)
+ "Pitt students relying on Internet research when libraries may offer wider
resources..." (via Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Saturday, April 3, 2004

Professional Reading Shelf
Libraries
Conference Papers From VALA 2004 (Victorian Association for Library Automation)
The conference took place in Melbourne Australia at the beginning of February.
Here are a few selected titles:
+ Bringing hidden treasures to light: illuminating DSpace
+ Beam me up! Supporting PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants) in medical
libraries
- new technology or just another format?
+ E-book acceptance: what will make users read on screen?
+ The Internet myth - emerging trends in reference enquiries
+ Libraries in the lead: the institutional repository phenomenon
+ Understanding the drivers for online data usage: an empirical analysis

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents
Ready Reference
Cool! Geography and environment staff & students: GEsource relaunch World Guide
Source: Joint Information Systems Committee (UK)
"GEsource, the geography and environment hub of the JISC-funded Resource
Discovery Network (RDN)" re-launched its World Guide section -- "a series of
guides to over 270 countries and territories" -- on March 31."

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Friday, April 2, 2004

News Search--Yahoo

Professional Reading Shelf (4 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Virtual Reference
New Web Site, The Web Site for VRD (Virtual Reference Desk) 2004 Conference is
Now Available
--
Information Industry--EBSCO
EBSCO Celebrates Its 60th Anniversary

Enterprise Search (2 Items Listed on the Web Site)
+ Knight-Ridder Will Use FAST Technology To Power Online Classified Search
Last week, FAST announced that Reuters has licensed some its technology.
+ Forbes.com Licenses EasyAsk

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (2 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Criminal Justice--Database Trials
Source: OVID
Free Access (Trial), This Month Only: Criminal Justice Abstracts (via Ovid)
 >From the Ovid site, "Available exclusively from Ovid, Criminal Justice
Abstracts contains comprehensive coverage of international journals, books,
reports, dissertations and unpublished papers on criminology and related
disciplines."

++++++++++++++
Looking for more research news and resources?
Visit The Virtual Chase
http://www.virtualchase.com
++++++++++++++

Thursday, April 1, 2004

Web Search--MSN
News.com Discusses Web Search With Yusuf Medhi from Microsoft

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (4 Items on the Web
Site)
Climatology
Source: National Climatic Data Center
Just Released, Online Climate Atlas
This is a Java-based application. From the site, "NOAA's NCDC has produced a
web
version of its Climate Atlas of the United States. All of the maps available on

the Climate Atlas CD are now available via the web. While the GIS capabilities
are limited in this version, the maps can be viewed easily, and at no cost."
--
Legal Industry--United States--Lists & Rankings
Source: American Lawyer

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

One More Time
++++++++++++++
The ResourceShelf REMINDER contains a PORTION of the content/links from the
ResourceShelf web site. Please visit the site to review ALL OF THE CONTENT.

Don't forget that ResourceShelf is updated throughout the week. Please stop by
whenever you have a free moment or two.
++++++++++++++++

ResourceShelf
E-Mail Reminder
Week 159
April 8, 2004
http://www.resourceshelf.com

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html