[haiku-development] BeServed donated!

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku Development" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:55:08 +0200 CEST

Hi there,

I recently got a mail from Kevin Musick, the author of BeServed (ie.
Teldar Corporation, www.teldar.com), that he would like to donate
BeServed and its companion tools (like its Windows server) under the
MIT license. I already retrieved most sources from him (the Unix server
code is still missing, everything else is there).

Now the question is what we do with it exactly.

We already have a more or less complete network file system written by
Ingo. Since we probably need to rework that one anyway when porting it
to Haiku, it might be a good idea to have a look at BeServed, and see
if we can reuse the best parts of both file systems, whereever
feasible.
For now, I would commit the sources into our repository unchanged
(under src/tests/add-ons/kernel/file_systems), so that we have them
available for inspection.

AFAIK both file systems are pretty complete by themselves (disregarding
any eventual bugs). The advantage of BeServed is that it comes with
servers for other operating systems, so that you can access their file
systems using BeServed as well (you then don't have attribute support,
AFAICT).

Bye,
   Axel.