[etni] fw: NBA

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:01:38 -0700

From: "Smadar" <atzmon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: NBA

6/15/2006

Dear Etniers,

We, the English teachers of Ben Gurion high school feel the
present situation of the NBA puts us English teachers in a very
uncomfortable position.

The components of the final school marks for English are different
by 30% from the components of the English Bagrut exam and this creates
an upsetting discrepancy in the students' grades. It leads to
unnecessary friction between English teachers and all the other
people involved in the students' education :parents, counselors
and school administration? no matter how extensively we explain
the grade calculation.

This discrepancy is wider for the basic module (A, C and E )
because students are taught and assessed on a higher level.
Furthermore, after doing the first module they lose their motivation
for studying , especially when they feel that each module is
"more of the same".

Another source of frustration for us as well as for our students
is the fragmentation of the assessment (by modules) as opposed
to the rather holistic method of teaching. Students can't see
one grade that assesses their knowledge of English, nor do they
feel they can really prepare for their mock or Bagrut? exam.
(Only few of them realize the accumulative aspect of learning English).

Our next remark concerns the oral exam in which testers inevitably
assess the 4 point students more leniently, thus distorting the
assessment of the oral competence.

As budget concerned citizens we would like to draw your attention
to the extra expenses involved in the NBA; 3 cassettes and 3 notebooks
per student instead of one and 5 hours of?? "hashgaha" instead of 3 .

We would feel much better if the following items could be included
in the test:

Literature

One longer written assignment

A linguistic component

We are looking forward to your comments and help

The English staff of Ben Gurion high school

Visit the ETNI site - http://www.etni.org
Send a message to the ETNI list: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send queries and questions to: ask@xxxxxxxx