[chapter-communicator] FW: Donal/May 4th No Pesticide Day

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'chapter-communicator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <chapter-communicator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:04:15 -0400

Dear Friends:

You may have received the below announcement that Westchester County
declared May 4, 2002 as "No Pesticide Day".

This initiative was conceived and led by Audubon Director, Lucy Waletzky,
with strong support from David Miller and his colleagues at Audubon New
York.

It would be terrific if each of our Chapters worked to have May 4, 2003
declared "No Pesticide Day" in the counties in which they are located.

Thank you, Lucy and David.

Donal

________

From the Office of...
Donal C. O'Brien, Jr.

Contact: Kimberley L. Ray
(518) 869-9731

COUNTY EXECUTIVE ANDREW SPANO DECLARES MAY 4 "NO PESTICIDE DAY"

Audubon New York Strongly Supports the Initiative

White Plains, New York, May 3, 2002 - Audubon New York applauds Westchester
County Executive Andrew Spano's declaration of May 4, 2002 as "No Pesticide
Day."   Recognizing the connection between pesticide use, groundwater
contamination, ecosystem damage and public health problems, this day will
serve as a reminder for Westchester County residents to resist using
aesthetic pesticides because of their non-target impacts.

In an effort to focus public attention and understanding on the harmful
effects of these toxic chemicals, County Executive Andrew Spano urges all
county residents to refrain from using any pesticides that day. "Much of
what we are doing is aimed at giving people the information to make informed
decisions about the consequences of using toxic chemicals," said Spano.

"Pesticides create an unacceptable health risk for people, pets and wildlife
and should not be used on lawns, in homes, or schools.  There are non-toxic
alternatives available," said Lucy Waletzky, M.D. and national board member
of Audubon.

Having stated that Westchester was the "fifth largest user of pesticides of
the 62 counties in New York state," Edna Sussman, executive director of
Federated Conservationists of Westchester County, Inc. added, "Instituting a
No Pesticide Day is a wonderful way to draw attention to the dangers
associated with pesticides."

 "Individuals in Westchester and across the country can help in the effort
to protect our wildlife, our waters and our children from the dangerous
impacts of pesticides by seeking alternatives," said David J. Miller
executive director of Audubon New York. "Andrew Spano has highlighted this
need, showing great conservation leadership once again," added Miller.

Elizabeth Sword of Children's Health Environmental Coalition (CHEC) said "We
support the court's decision to uphold the right of children not to be
exposed to toxic pesticides which may cause irreparable harm."

Audubon New York, working with a number of other conservation and
environmental groups, has implemented a public education campaign on
pesticides for Westchester County.

"We are urging parents in Westchester County to sign up for prior
notification of school pesticide applications," said Pamela Haddad-Hurst,
executive director of the New York Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides
(NYCAP). "Once a parent knows what's happening, we can work with them to
encourage schools to adopt safer pest management practices. The notification
law creates a tremendous opportunity to educate people about alternatives. "

County residents use large amounts of aesthetic pesticides annually, which
are associated with increased incidences of some cancers, neurological
diseases and birth defects.

The focus of this Audubon campaign is to inform residents of the risks
related to the use of lawn pesticides. Audubon New York knows that
individuals can make a difference. The goal of this program to is to "reduce
the use" of lawn care pesticides in Westchester County.

In the past Audubon New York has worked with County Executive Andrew Spano
on a number of conservation programs. Westchester County is the first in the
nation to have a county bird conservation area program modeled after
Audubon's Important Bird Area program. Audubon and the county have partnered
on Long Island Sound issues and County Executive Spano has received
Audubon's Sound Guardian Award.

#  #  #