[zxspectrum] ZX in Polonia

  • From: "Stefano" <flydream@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zxspectrum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:09:59 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sorrow" <miki_olsz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: alt.pl.comp.spectrum
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 2:18 AM
Subject: Re: Clones

"Stefano":

> Yeah!!! But I know in Poland there are also Unpolbrit, Timex and Elwro. Is
> it right?

It is right :) I own two Timexes 2048 myself :) One is defected, but the
other works just fine :D

> was them more popular than original Sinclair?

Hard to tell, probably Timex and ZX 48 were two most popular Spectrum
machines in Poland, but it's just what I remember.
Also, afair, +2 and +3 were _not_ popular due to price, as C64 was cheaper
and "better".
Btw, Elwro 800 Junior still stays as a "museal exposition" in computer room
in Primary School 42 in Gdansk :)

>Ah wonderful . I must go in Gdansk. I was been in some cityes in Poland this
>year. I think to go to Gdansk in summer. Anyway I have searched any zx
>clones in Warsaw (in a zone called "Praga") and Krakow but I have not found
>anything ;-))

AFAIK Elwro and Unipolbrit machines  weren't accesible in the market.
They were distributed to schools, cultural centres, clubs in rich
state-owned companies. And now some of them are in private collections
or maybe forgotten in companies basements. The most part is lost  :(
In 8-bit years in the (public) shops in Poland  were Atari, Timex,
Amstrad and MSX machines (all in limited quantity and too expensive).
The main computer-source for others was private import, rich aunt
abroad or market.

KrzysztofB