[zxspectrum] Re: R: Re: R: Re: R: Re: R: Re: R: Re: IMPRESSIONANTE: se avete un QL...

  • From: "Rich Mellor (RWAP)" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zxspectrum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 19:20:55 +0100 (BST)

> On April 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM Massimo Raffaele <massimo.raffaele@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> <mailto:simone.voltolini@xxxxxx> >:
>    > >
> >    Is for use it too next the preservation ;)
> >
> >  >
>  Much better to use the floppies :-DD
>
>  Only problem is: some titles (games, primarily) have piracy protections, so I
> wasn't able to copy all my microdrive contents to floppy :-(.
>  Rich deprotected many of them, but they are still covered by copyright
> rights, so I cannot ask him (for free) a deprotected copy of what I own (which
> is not original).
>
>  Rich, if only the prices were lower... 5£ or more for such old programs is
> high. I know you don't want to be bothered any more regarding copyrights etc.,
> but I'm sure you would sell a _lot_ more programs if you sold it at 1-2$
> maximum.
>  I'm speaking of software-only, not packages including microdrives, manuals,
> boxes and other accessories (which, of course, deserve a higher price).
>
>  Max

If only it were that easy - you have to remember that I still pay royalties on
software I sell, and there is the cost of purchasing DD floppy disks and labels
for them (neither of which are available cheaply nowadays) - if I sold them for
2 GBP, after paypal fees, royalties and costs of disks etc that would leave me
with at most 50p - hardly worth my trouble and time in sorting the software and
orders out - even presuming the copyright holders agreed to a reduction in their
royalties.

Remember that I also have to re-type most manuals for the software as well as do
programming to make it compatible with emulators and ensure it can stil be used
without copy protection.  People are willing to pay £5-£10 for a second hand
microdrive cartridge on ebay hoping that it will work, but I am the one that is
the bad guy for selling working software for which I have actually come to an
agreement with the copyright holder.

I did come to an agreement with them for the QL Games Collection 1 which is
currently available for only £5 (normally £10) and contains 10 games, but then I
get people moaning that they expected a full copy of the software(!) so you
can't win.  And no - there has not been a mad rush of people wanting to buy this
either.

Rich Mellor
RWAP Software
www.rwapsoftware.co.uk