[zxspectrum] Re: R: Re: COSMOS

  • From: Zurillion <zurillion@xxxxxxx>
  • To: zxspectrum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 00:24:53 +0200

Il giorno 25/ott/07, alle ore 20:49, Massimo Raffaele ha scritto:

[snip]

This is something not everybody knows:
- the Spectrum has *true* 48KB RAM physical memory (memory chips)
- the Commodore 64 has *true* 64KB RAM physical memory (memory chips)

So the C64 has *more* memory than the Spectrum available to machine code programming (I'm NOT writing about the amount accessible to BASIC programming). This HUGE RAM is available via banking out the following ROM's from the address space: the 8KB BASIC ROM and the 8KB Kernel ROM.

Knowing this, you can understand how they managed to allow 48KB programs to fit in the emulated Speccy :-)

Max

Max, but, as far as I remember, there is still one more thing: weren't in the C64 many custom chip and I/O control registers ( for VIC-II and SiD, for example) memory mapped in various scattered places around the RAM, so that it couldn't be used as a single contiguous chunk?

If this is true, I wonder how the emulator managed to load a full 48k program ... maybe it implemented some primitive form of MMU? ;-)

Cheers,

   Giovanni