[ztebladeopensource] Re: Turies

  • From: kb <krister@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ztebladeopensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:07:44 +0200

So when HTC, Samsung and SonyEricsson has started to open up their bootloaders (SonyEricsson and Samsung even gave away free phones to CyanogenMod developers), ZTE starts to make their platform more closed. That is a bad move in my opinion.

Do they not realize that open and customizable phones and tablets is what people wants and expects now?

I Sweden users of the ZTE V9/Light even bought me a tablet because they wanted custom ROMs for it. They suggested it, not me. Now they can all enjoy a very stable Android 2.3.7 (in the form of CyanogenMod) on their tablets thanks to the community. We can even do multitouch gestures as zooming and rotating even though it's a single touch resistive screen. And all the work the community put into it can be found on github so what we fix and enhance can be useful for ZTE.

If this is where ZTE is heading, then my next device will be from a different manufacturer.

/kallt_kaffe

PS. I also would like to know where I can find the kernel source for the ZTE V9C (Reliance 3G tab).

Sebastian Robinson skrev 2011-10-23 18:29:
Thats very true, it makes the Turies a bit of a non-starter for us tho, theres no released exploit for 2.3.5 as of yet, so no way to root it, and there is no kernel source, or anyway to re-write the boot partition if we did..

lets hope that the fastboot problems are an error and will be fixed with an update....

On 23 Oct 2011, at 09:18, József Király wrote:

It might be a modified fastboot, what only accepts uploads via a serial console - JTAG, by example. It wouldn't be a surprise, as ZTE has been deliberately trying to disable user-flashing, and removing fastboot is a bit against the Android principles (to always have a method what can recover a dead device). While this principle is not official, as I heard, Google requires it most of the time (to make the work of warranty services easier, and unified, except Samsung ofc...), and disabling it wasn't the best step, so locking it down (á lá HTC) might be a better solution.

2011/10/23 Tom Giordano <tomgiordano83@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:tomgiordano83@xxxxxxxxx>>

    Fastboot without USB is a bit pointless, I don't know why they
    would both including it in the bootloader, but if you can't see
    anything in lsusb it is certainly broken.

    On 23 October 2011 11:04, Sebastian Robinson
    <sebastian.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:sebastian.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        I'll grab a config tomorrow, if I try and build it against
        the SKATE kernel source there is seems more than happy until
        it gets to the board file, so I cant imagine its going to be
        too different...

        but then it is the usual story with ZTE now, we could 'fix'
        it but I'd rather have the official source from them since
        its part of the licence terms....

        Im fairly sure that fastboot has no USB, I've not had this
        problem with any of the other devices I've tried it with,
         from my linux box doing an lsusb just shows no USB devices,
        I've tried it on a windows PC and OSX just to be sure.

        I also tried using USBTrace on my windows box and its not
        seeing any sort of activity on the USB port when its in
        fastboot mode, I can get the thing into FTM and it's
        connectable via QPST so im fairly sure there is something up
        with fastboot mode.....

        unless you have any other ideas I could try

        On 23 Oct 2011, at 00:50, Tom Giordano wrote:

        The board files should be fairly easy to add (assuming the
        2.6.32 source is correct). Can you pull a config from your
        device so I can test it compiles before I upload source (I
        can't find a Turies rom).

        USB should work in fastboot, maybe you have a permissions
        problem (if using linux run it as root). USB is deliberately
        disabled in recovery by ZTE's FTM_MODE config switch.

        On 23 October 2011 04:24, Sebastian Robinson
        <sebastian.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:sebastian.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Hi Guys,

            I'm not sure if anyone is still subscribed here, or if
            ZTE follow this, but I just wanted to flag up that the
            ZTE Turies is now available to buy in the UK, but there
            is no sign of the source code on ZTE's support site....
              It comes with a 2.6.35 kernel, so I checked the Skate
            and Roamer source but was unable to build a kernel using
            that since the board files are missing.

            I also noticed that when I reboot the device into
            recovery or fastboot mode there is no USB, is this on
            purpose?

            Cheers,
            Sebastian