[yunqa.de] Re: LIKE operator is case sensitive for 8-bit iso8859

  • From: Delphi Inspiration <delphi@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:58:33 +0200

Clyde wrote:

>DisQlite states in the help file:
>
>"(A bug: SQLite only understands upper/lower case for 7-bit Latin characters"
>
>If this is a known bug, but why has it not been fixed yet?

It is an acknowledged "bug" in SQLite which is intentionally not fixed in order
to keep the library size small. The SQLite developers feel that adding full
Unicode case tables would inflate its size unreasonably.

>I understand we can write our own Like() function to override and fix this
>behaviour.
>
>However, in doing so Sqlite will not longer use indexes to optimize the query.

Both true. Unfortunately, there is no functionality to override like and keep
the optimization in place yet. This might be worth a feature request to the
SQLite developers.

>Is there any way to have LIKE in DiSqlite be case INSENSITIVE for  8-bit
>iso8859 and yet still use indexes for optimized queries?

No, at least not without editing the SQLite C sources and recompiling DISQLite3.