[yunqa.de] Re: Field sizes - SQLite tables

  • From: Delphi Inspiration <delphi@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 16:40:25 +0200

At 01:30 10.05.2009, Hal Corbould wrote:

>Could you please help with these questions:

I have posted a detailed problem analysis in response to your other message.
More general answers follow below.

>1) Why when using SQLiteSpy will the table accept and display a currcode
>longer than three chars, and/or a currname longer than 30 chars?

SQLiteSpy uses a dedicated grid and record buffer to guarantee that it always
displays the actual data without limitations.

>2) Why will DISQLite3_ClientDataSet_Grid.exe accept and then display all six
>chars of the deliberately incorrect currency code ZLXABC when this field is
>set to be three chars?

Because DISQLite3 does not have a size limit on strings. It parses numbers as
part of a type name, but does not enforce string limits. See

  DISQLite3 Help -> SQLite Documentation -> Data Types

>3) Why will DISQLite3_ClientDataSet_Grid.exe not accept or display the full
>thirty chars of the currname?

Because TClientDataSet applies the TField.Size limitation to TDbGrid.
Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do against this, except to increase the
size to a larger value (see my other reply for how to do this).