[yunqa.de] Re: DISQLite3 Install on Delphi 2005 PE

  • From: Delphi Inspiration <delphi@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:28:29 +0200

Hello Oliver Metzlaff,

>is there any way to install the components on Delphi 2005 PE? I read
>that db.pas not is required and would test it, but on install dbrtl,
>db and so on are not found, because not aviable on Delphi 2005PE.

Short answer:

If you do not have db.pas, you can not install the DISQLite3 components, but
the DISQLite3 database engine works perfectly fine without.

Longer answer:

The DISQLite3 database engine is not based on TDataSet and works completely
independently of db.pas. The installable components just add an additional
wrapper level on top of the main engine to support data-aware controls for the
comfort of those who have db.pas. If your Delphi has not, it also does not
support data-aware controls because they rely on db.pas. Hence it would not
make sense to install the DISQLite3 components into your IDE anyway.

However, you can still use the complete database engine functionality of
DISQLite3. There is the main API (all procedures and functions starting with
sqlite3...) as well as the non-TDataSet object wrappers (TDISQLite3Database and
TDISQLite3Statement). In fact, most demo projects only use the native API or
the simple, non-TDataSet wrappers. As long as you stick to those, DISQLite3
works perfectly well without db.pas.

Concluding:

Just do not install the DISQLite3 components if your Delphi is missing db.pas.
Instead, use one or both of these units to access the DISQLite3 functionality:

  DISQLite3Api      (main API)
  DISQLite3Database (simple, non-TDataSet wrappers)

Ralf