[yshavurah] panel on sunday

  • From: jay rothman <jrothman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:59:05 -0400

Sunday 2-4pm on 26 September at AUM

Muslims in America and the Principle of Religious Freedom is the subject of a
public forum sponsored Antioch University Midwest, Sunday 26 September, 2:00 to
4:00 pm

PNC Bank Auditorium AUM, 900 Dayton St., Yellow Springs, OH.

The aim of the forum is to get beyond the routine disinformation and
inflammatory rhetoric that is currently pervading the media regarding Muslims
in America.  A range of scholars and mediators - diverse in academic and
religious background - will start share their experiences and insights to help
the audience to get a more solid and sensible grip on the issues at stake to
see how we can avoid misplaced hatred, discrimination, and violence.  The
panelists will show how we can gain strength through diversity without
sacrificing our most cherished values.  Those attending will learn principles
and methods for better addressing and supporting religious diversity and
freedom of worship in spite of threats from marginal extremists.

The panelists include:

Dr. Wayel Azmeh, MD, Board member of The Mercy Society/Islamic Center of
Dayton, National Board Member, Muslim Public Affairs Council;;

Dr. Suheil Bushrui, Emeritus Professor, Senior Scholar at Center for
International Development and Conflict Management, University of Maryland at
College Park, author of The Spiritual Heritage of the Human Race;

Dr. Naseem Rahim, (community building and public diplomacy) teaches Jewish,
Christian and Islamic Heritage and Leadership in Groups and Organizations at
AUM;

Dr. Jay Rothman, President of Aria Group (a conflict resolution and
collaborative planning firm) and author of Resolving Identity-Based Conflict in
Nations, Organizations and Communities;

Mr. Brandon Sipes, M.A., Senior Consultant of Aria Group, researcher of
identity conflicts, of how identity can be utilized for both division and
unity, and of the critical role of facilitation and mediation.

The forum is not just open to the public; it is for the public. We hope you
will attend, listen, learn, and share your thoughts and questions.

For more information on the panelists and purpose of the forum, click on
midwest.antioch.edu or contact Jim Malarkey, Chair of Humanities, AUM,
jmalarkey@xxxxxxxxxxx