[yoshimi] Re: Opinions Please

  • From: "Tom" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "madtom1999" for DMARC)
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 13:06:59 +0000

On 10/11/2018 12:04, ZB wrote:

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:37:38AM +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:

I'm looking at ways to make Yoshimi as inviting and easy to use as possible for
complete beginners and one of the stumbling blocks seems to be initially
getting any sound.

Currently, at first time startup Yoshimi defaults to JACK MIDI and audio, but
should it perhaps be ALSA for both?
How about seeing what's there? If JACK is available connect to that else ALSA?

Someone who is steeped in Linux music would have started JACK before their instruments but why not try and make life easy for those that need to be swept up into the happy happy joy joy we live in?

Most people will install jack from a package manager and then find it in the DD menus and if you look for JACK and click on that and nothing happens cos its failed to find jack and so given up they're not going to be impressed. Me I expect things not to work but MS and Apple have killed any sense of adventure in many and the potentially long chain of configuration just to get a sound out of something can be daunting for the little dears.

Personally I think if it came up with the Virtual Keyboard and connected to ALSA sound if JACK was not running then they can make beeps and farts from the off rather than get lost in google. After all thats not going to effect any experienced users one jot is it?

Tom

Yoshimi source code is available from either:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/yoshimi
Or: https://github.com/Yoshimi/yoshimi
To post, email to yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx