Re: XyWrite and Windows 7

  • From: Myron Gochnauer <goch@xxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:53:38 -0400

I have Win7 installed on an HP laptop.  I installed the 32 bit version, largely
because NB is currently not compatible with 64 bit Win7.

So, with 32-bit Win7 ---

Xy II
Xy III+
Xy IV

All run as expected in windowed mode. Win7 does not support full-screen DOS
mode (or at least it says it does not).

In each case I found Editor.exe in Windows Explorer, right clicked on it and
chose "run as administrator".  I did nothing else, and all three versions
booted up without incident.

I chose to run them as administrator because they have trouble with long files
names and it seems sensible (as well as traditional) to keep the programs in a
directory close to the root:  C:\xy    It may not have been necessary, but
since Windows tries to keep users away for system directories and files, I
thought it might show some reluctance to allowing anyone other than the
administrator to run a program not in the official subdirectory for programs.

I have not tested further to see if there are XPL or keyboard oddities.

I don't have a functioning version of XyWin, so I can't try it.  The
installation program doesn't work with Win7 or WinXP, and I'm not sure whether
I have a functioning system from which I can copy the necessary files.  I think
XyWin is pretty self-contained except for two files that go into
Windows\system\.

Myron

P.S.  Every time I try XyII (Plus, I think) I am amazed at how slow it is
compared to III and IV.  It seemed so wonderfully nimble back in 1984 when I
paid $300 for it.  ;-)    I never regretted it.  A real manual, too, that I
used to read before falling asleep every night.  Some of those keystrokes are
still in my fingers/nerves/brain.