Portable XY

  • From: Fred Weiner <fw1948@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: XyWrite List <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 14:42:50 -0700

Carl et al.,

A recent post with Lisa K.--like me a Mac user--involved mention of Carl's
Portable XY, which I had forgotten about, am intrigued by, and would like
to use in my wanderings between Tucson and NY. Besides, its blistering hot
in the desert and rather than be out of doors on a Sunday I'm trying to
work the Portable XY system into shape for a thumb drive.

I understand that in the debugged-then-converted-to-STARTUP.INT
PORTABLE.INTprogram, editor's directory is saved at start up to SG 01.
So it sits there
in memory, right? I have tried, in XYWWWEB.REG to alter, experimentally,
one of the CDD sections (used with <HelpKey> to quickly change to a
preconfigured directory) like so:

[CDD]
;DOCS=C:\XY4\DOCS
DOCS=<<PV01>>\DOCS

with the right kind of guillemets (entered by pressing ctrl-< and ctrl->).
Restarting and trying to access that CDD location by entering CDD docs<HK>
puts CDD\DOCS on the command line, presumably skipping over the <<PV01>>,
and CDD 'spec not found' on the prompt line.

Question: is there a way to make that, and other sections in the registry
truly portable? Should I assume that <<PV01>> is transitory? Thank you for
your help  . . .

FW