RE: OED

  • From: "Michael Norman" <michael.norman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:36:02 -0500

>From Bill Troop
>
>I thought the main advantage of using OED2 was speed; comparing it to later
versions
>is rather like comparing XyWrite and MSW. Also, later versions don't just
have new
>words, but revised definitions and different quotations, and who knows? a
few errors
>corrected. An enormous advantage of the online edition is its integration
with HTOED.
[>]

That is indeed an advantage, particularly if you work etymology into your
lessons on diction and tropes, but if your aim is to have a tool at hand for
crafting manuscripts, OED4 is fine. I'm on an i5CPU with plenty of ram so
it's as fast as I need. I also have the 13-volume edition on a shelf. The
problem with that beautiful set is, once you crack a volume open, you want
to keep reading and reading.

Michael Norman