Re: 'Death to Word'

  • From: Paul Breeze <paul.breeze@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:05:40 +0100

Dear Lynn

I'm in the same position as you. I have to convert to Word before submitting. That appears to be all anybody understands these days, even if other formats might be simpler.

Paul Breeze

On 12/04/2012 16:50, Lynn Brenner wrote:
List members may be interested in this piece, which spells out every
reason to hate MS Word.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/04/microsoft_word_is_cumbersome_inefficient_and_obsolete_it_s_time_for_it_to_die_.html

I've long despised Word, but this article spells out reasons for hating
it that had never occurred to me.

I still write everything in Xywrite, but for years I've converted my
copy to Word before filing it because my various print and online
editors don't use Xywrite -- indeed, most of them have never even heard
of it -- but all know Word.

After reading this article, I wonder whether Xywrite wouldn't make text
easier for them to move from one publishing platform to another.  Does
anyone on the list file copy to be published online in Xywrite?

Lynn Brenner