Re: 'Death to Word'

  • From: Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 08:28:49 -0400

I wrote the first half of my book in Word and the second half in NotaBene. NB was a great relief. It ain't perfect, and v. 9 crashes a lot when you are working inside footnotes, but it gives you the pretty screen of Word with the familiar Xy commands, functions, values, and XPL.

>But didn't MS prop up Apple for years by continuing to develop essentially the only
heavy-duty Mac w.p., Word?

That is true. DOS MS Word is very interesting in many respects. I gather that it was the testbed of windowing routines for Windows, and it had mouse support before many other applications could handle a mouse, a Mac feature. Much of the DOS MS Word stuff was to be the core of the Windows operating system. Microsoft had an interesting vantage point over both PC and Mac development (even OS/2 at one stage). This angered Steve Jobs who thought that Microsoft stole the Mac idea in developing Windows.

Windows Word is a port of DOS Word, and sadly it still shows. Take for example the clumsy headers and footers in Windows Word. A true publishing application handles those in a different way. But as whole and for very basic word processing, Word is ok.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx