Re: 'Death to Word'

  • From: "annie f." <xyzone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:16:04 -0400

The first reference I came across to the Word-bashing
piece was Kevin Drum's endorsement. A hasty skim suggested
that the author had argued that formatting still related
to print rather than the 'net condemns Word to prehistory.
Since I never had to use Word for either purpose I just
moved on, recalling what an NYT then-reporter, now-editor
once posted to this list, that he'd never written a
footnote and expected never to have to.

Then, catching up just now on what I missed in blogs
yesterday, lo, this hed in Ta-Nehisi Coates's:

                'Bring Back XyWrite'

Sorry to disappoint. That's the only mention, assuming I
guess that veteran writers will get the obscure reference:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/04/bring-back-xywrite/255839/

Actually, I seem to recall that Jim Fallows, a Coates
Atlantic mag colleague, long ago championed xyWrite but
switched to Macs. Coates implies that he plans to liberate
himself soon by getting a Mac. But didn't MS prop up Apple
for years by continuing to develop essentially the only
heavy-duty Mac w.p., Word?                              --annie f.