Re: 'Death to Word'

  • From: "Kari Eveli" <lexitec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "XyList" <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:35:15 +0300

Hi folks,

Now come on, it used not to be that bad! MS Word used to be a very good word
processor, that is DOS Word 4.0 and 5.0. They were very robust and efficient,
and had great formatting and font capabilities for the day. The program was
filled with features and could be crammed onto a single floppy like XyWrite. I
used to edit the same material with DOS Word and XyWrite: they were very good
alternatives for different editing chores. The bad news is Word 5.0 is not
W2K-compliant. The good news is you can download Microsoft Word 5.5 for DOS
from here for free (file format is the same as in Word 5.0):
http://download.microsoft.com/download/word97win/Wd55_be/97/WIN98/EN-US/Wd55_ben.exe
It has an awful menu structure that I hate as I am used to the classic DOS Word
interface.

Windows Word is not one of my favorites and is not suitable for serious
publishing. It is still a good and stable word processing program with many
features. Choose one of the older versions for better results.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx