[wyomingabe] Re: Body of Evidence dropouts

  • From: "Lisa Mixer" <Lmixer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wyomingabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:40:32 -0600

Robin,
I even have a hard time getting someone from the school district to fully
understand the BOE enough to explain the concept. It has to do with the state's
effort to comply with No Child Left Behind and the 3 tiered diploma that was
just instituted statewide. There is a 4 year buildup for the students in high
school right now, the seniors all the way down to the 9th graders. By the time
the 9th graders get to 12th (and all graduates from then on), they will be
expected to comply with all the new rules for graduation. The seniors today
only have a portion to comply with. A student can no longer just get their high
school credits to graduate. They must also prove they have some level of
understanding of the content taught in each class. That content is the "BOE".
The student must prove they have mastered the BOE by: test results, portfolios,
etc. This kid in question had all his credits to graduate, but (we did not ask
him) he must have had a D or two. That grade must not have satisfied the
district's standard for having learned the BOE. The district has been
anticipating that many, many kids, especially special ed. kids to drop out in
great numbers. Apparently, special ed. kids were not compensated for their
disability when rated on acquisition of the BOE. Anyway, I am certainly not the
expert and it would be great if at a conference/in- service we could have the
DOE speak to this so we all have a better understanding of it.
By the way, Robin, I sure appreciate your responses to my emails.
Lisa

Lisa Mixer
ABE/GED Co-director
Literacy Volunteers of Casper Tutor Coordinator
125 College Drive
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-268-2453
307-268-3021 fax