[wwpoenglish] Re: wwpoenglish Digest V1 #43

  • From: "Hilarie Roseman" <hilarieroseman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wwpoenglish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:02:17 +1100

Dear Bruce, I have inserted with this email my opinion piece as you have
requested.  With blessings for the new year of 2015, Hilarie Rosemn  ps if the
insertion does not work, I will try another way.

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 20:22:56 -0600
Subject: [wwpoenglish] Purpose of a Writer - To Evoke Inner Stressors
From: Bruce Cook <cookcomm@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear WWPO Members,
I submit for comments my opinion piece on the purpose of a fiction writer,
which I plan to release on author-me.com at the end of December. I feel this is
important since we need to explore methods for relievng stress in education.

Thank you for your comments.

Writer’s Purpose – No. 1 - Evoke

By Bruce L. Cook

What is the purpose of your story? Hopefully you don’t just want to extend
your fame as a writer. Instead, you want to offer something to your audience.

A writer may have a variety of goals in mind. In my estimation, one of the most
important is to evoke. And, to evoke, the author needs to connect.

In this case, the story will need to stimulate an emotion that comes from the
reader’s life experience.

For example, if the reader had experience in ground warfare, a story might
evoke fear and terror learned in that setting. However, as a protection against
hurt, that reader might only risk those memories if the story is written by a

More typically, consider the grief someone feels when they have lost a beloved
companion –a spouse or other family member or close friend.  Here the author
may become a grief counselor, and this involves increased responsibilities.

In this case a reader can permit the story to penetrate into protected areas.
The new life a reader has developed to cope with the loss has been hiding the
grief, but now the story opens the door and the reader clearly sees the new
reality in contrast with suppressed grief.

As an example for someone who has lost a loved one to cancer, the recent film
“Wild!” powerfully evokes moments of impending and actual loss.

In a role as grief counselor, the author leaves the arena of director/producer
and fades into the background. Regardless of details, the narrative stands back
as the emotion and memory which is normally shielded from expression bursts
forth with new power.

Some readers might object, for it can be embarrassing to weep or act
erratically while viewing a film or reading a book in a public place. In my
view, on the other hand, this as one of the most powerful roles an author can
assume, for the story has successfully removed a shield and opened the spigot
for a reader’s self-introspection. This can achieve the goal often set forth
by meditation exercises and other artificial stimuli.

At this point, confronted by electric memory of past hurt, the reader confronts
a reality that has been lurking in the background throughout a new life that
was created out of necessity. In experiencing this juxtaposition of past with
present, the reader can relax stress and gain a healthy renewal of faith in the
future. Who could ask for more?

The writer has a serious responsibility in helping the reader achieve this
level of personal truth. I encourage writers to explore ways to evoke past
memories and help shape the reader’s positive view of the future.

End of wwpoenglish Digest V1 #43