[wwpoenglish] Re: A melbourne peace site based on law

  • From: María Cristina Azcona <mcrisazcona@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hilarie Roseman <hilarieroseman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:27:59 -0300

Hilarie Roseman dear

I entered the link you provided and it seems absolutely great

it says *We at WICPER seek to do all we can, even on a microscopic scale,
to eliminate the causes of conflict through peace education, the use of
international law as an instrument of peace, remolding of attitudes through
cross cultural understanding and instilling a resolve to be careful
trustees of the futures. If this work can be magnified ten million fold,
there will be peace on earth. We do what we can and hope others will profit
from our experience and propagate this message.*

WICPER FOUNDER Sri Lankabhimanya Judge C.G. Weeramantry

*Former Vice-President, International Court of Justice, The Hague
LLD. (University of London); D.Lit. (Honoris Causa) (University of London),
LLD. (Honoris Causa) (University of Colombo); LLD. (Honoris Causa) (Monash
University); LL.D. (Honoris Causa) (National Law School of India)

Judge C.G. Weeramantry, Former Vice-President of the International Court of
Justice in the course of his professional career of over six decades as
lawyer, legal educator, domestic judge, international judge, author,
lecturer, has touched on a wide variety of topics essential to
international rule of law, cross-cultural understanding and peace
education. He has written over 250 articles which has been published in
various international journals and is the author of over 20 books and
lectured extensively on these topics and related subjects in over 50
countries. His work contains a philosophy as well as a programme of action
to achieve these purposes.The Weeramantry International Centre for Peace
Education and Research (WICPER) was founded by him in 2001, has a vast
corpus of research and writing as an information base from which to develop
it programmes.

Judge Weeramantry recently received the UNESCO Prize for Peace Education
2006, the Right Livelihood (Alternative Nobel) Award 2007 and the Life-Time
Achievement Award 2008 by Nuclear Age Peace Foundation. These were bestowed
upon him in recognition of his unstinted commitment and concrete
undertakings in support of the concept and culture of peace through his
long and fruitful career. He continues to serve humankind by undertaking
several appointments as Patron and Advisor to numerous international bodies
all over the world, some of these include, his function as the President of
the International Association of Lawyers Against Nuclear Arms (IALANA),
Patron of the Centre for International Sustainable Development Law (CISDL)
and Advisor to the Asian Society of International Law. His pre-eminence in
the field of international law has been recognized by such distinction as
being selected as the Judge representing the Hague’s excellence in
International Law when it celebrated its 750th anniversary in 1996 and by
his being selected as the jurist to represent the Third World at the World
Congress on Equality and Freedom held in 1976 to celebrate the American

*María Cristina Azcona*

*María Cristina Azcona*