Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Quinean Indeterminacy

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:40:50 +0100

Gratefully noting your words of encouragement, I'm inclined to add
another illustrative angle.

Attempts to state something with perfect clarity always turn out to be
never ending tasks.  A prime example is accounting standards, where the
volume of material grows ever larger, but continues to fail to achieve
absolute precision.

Likewise tax codes.  Any particular tax code is capable of sustaining a
never ending string of court judgements that attempt clarification.  The
case law generally grows without limit, except when it is obsoleted by
new legislation.