Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:36:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walter:

Sounds good: more Fodor.

But, just to clarify a fine point, I'm not saying the concept of indeterminacy
of translation per se is incoherent. Some things are indeterminate, such as the
position of an electron in a crystal lattice. Where the incoherency in Quine's
theory arises, in my opinion, is when someone purports to give an example of
the indeterminacy. For then, that person has to both give the translation and
insist that it can't be translated.

Thanks!
--Ron