Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walter:

No. Quine's attack on analyticity proceeds from a definition of analyticity
that roughly follows Frege, who held that analytic truths were those that were
logical truths or were reducible to logical truths through substitution of
synonymous terms. So, again, going back to my question about the English word
'and', where is the natural language in which the meaning of this word is
indeterminate? Now, we have moved the argument for indeterminacy of translation
to the words that make up logical truths...which are just one kind of analytic
truth for Frege...whose definition of analyticity Quine's attack bears down
upon.

In "Two Dogmas" (1951) the Frege conception of analyticity was completely
rejected, both logical and synonymy-derived branches. But in Word and Object
(1960), where the translation thesis is asserted, I believe he claims that
logical connectives are not subject to revision and that prelogical peoples are
a fiction that arises from--of all things for him to say--bad translations.

Thanks!
--Ron