Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:19:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Neil:

Thanks for your comments. It seems that we are both calling upon Wittgenstein
to support opposite sides of an argument about Quine.

Maybe Budd by "global indeterminacy" means "applies to all words in all
languages" and "local" means just some words in some languages. In any case,
one question I putting forth is what words, if any, are immune from this
alledged indeterminacy. I asked about the logical connectives. Quine grants
that "no unmarried man is married" is analytic. Well.

I agree with you if by indeterminacy you mean imprecision. But I have always
taken Quine to be injecting a degree of modality into his assertion of
indeterminacy, that it is ultimately insurmountable in all cases, whereas the
simple imprecision of a term allows for border cases, and there analyticity is
not assured. So, we know that a bachelor is unmarried, but we're not sure that
a playboy is unmarried. Wittgenstein admits imprecision without denying truth,
and, I think, analyticity. Is it not correct to say, stand roughly here? It is
sometimes thought by his followers that W advocated an ultimate relativism,
that one could never really say whether the rules for using a word were or were
not being followed. But the passages PI 201 and PI 202 refute this. I guess
that's where everyone stops reading. Now I know all meaning is a muddle, and I
can quit right here.

Well, maybe my argument doesn't work. OK. I'd still like to see an argument for
why an infant is better equipped and more successful at learning a new language
that a trained linguist is.

Quine gives no examples, yes, that's what I'm saying. To give an example, he
needs to provide us a word in a language other than English and give us its
meaning in that language, and then tell us why we can not (I mean: never, ever,
in no possible word; this is the modal content of his theory) translate it.
Again, this is probably what Budd is claiming to be the incoherent part of
Quine's thesis.

I'm sorry to be so obtuse, but I don't think your example (while interesting)
of nautical miles vs. statute miles works. One can clearly speak the language
of statute miles and then be told that in this other sea-faring language they
have the same word 'mile' but that it's differently applied. The landlubber
passenger says it's 3293 miles from New York to Liverpool, but the sailor says
it's 2861. Can't they ever reconcile this? To be an example of
indeterminacy--which means in a state where it cannot be determined--it would
need to be impossible for the passenger to ever understand the sailor's usage.
But, a geographer on board could point out the origin of the sailor's word and
how it differs from the passenger's, and then it's clear (enough, as you point
out).

Thanks!
--Ron