Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:07:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Neil:

Walt told me to stop it, but this thread won't tie off.

The whole matter hinged on whether "vertebrate" was part of the definition of
mammal or not. Certainly, before Quine, people differed on whether one property
was or was not attached to the definition of a term. Does a 'wagon' have four
wheels or can it have two? Does a 'cart' have two wheels, or can it have four?
or just one? If a woody plant does not grow so that its trunk is over one inch
in diameter, can it properly be called a tree? or must it be called a
shrub? These ambiguities of established usage do not overthrow analyticity, but
where they exist, one person may mark a statement as true by definition,
whereas another person would mark it as false, and another might even say it
depends a property that isn't considered by the other two.

And again, Quine thinks there can be no disagreement on the meaning of logical
connectives, AND, OR, IF, THEN, IFF, THERE_EXISTS, FOR_ALL.

Thanks!
--Ron