Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:38:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walt:

But I explained both interpretations, so the "indeterminacy" is resolvable;
this is unsurprising. And, it usually doesn't take a lot of effort to discover
and then fix any inconsistency of interpretation, which is, again, why the
root, ultimately unresolvable indeterminacy of translation he gestures has no
instances in real life.

Besides, Quine says the language of first-order logic is determinate. How do
you explain that? Do you look into the web of belief and see a hard core that
can't be pushed to the periphery? The metaphores are evocative, but offer no
real elucidation.

I'm surprised by your interpretation of Quine, remember well discussions of
this text as an undergraduate and for years after, and do not ever recall a
reduction of it to plain old polysemy.

Thanks!
--Ron