Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:38:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walt:

One thing I find questionable about Fodor's attack on Wittgenstein's concept of
concepts is that he's blurring the distinction between first person pain and
second person pain. These are really two different concepts, I would argue.
There's the criteria of application within a community for when someone else is
in pain, and there's the criteria of application within the community for when
I am in pain. The criteria of application could still be constitutive (meaning
that's all we can rely upon for philosophical analysis, not that they are one
and the same substance or configuration of events in the world) in each of
these cases, but these two types of criteria only share some loose family
resemblance, both within themselves and between each other.

Thanks!
--Ron