[Wittrs] [quickphilosophy] Re: Anscombe on Tractarian epistemology & its incompatibility with verificationism

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 00:41:11 -0000

--- In quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@...> wrote:

> Hi Walter,
>
> Let me know if the following question and thoughts make any sense.
>
> What if by 'simples' we take W. to also have had 'concepts' in mind, despite
> the context where he's trying to give them (concepts) a simple linguistic
> form so as to represent them on paper?

Hi, Bud.

I don't think concepts (as generally understood) would do the trick for W,
since his argument requiring splitting of objects down to simples would seem to
apply to our everyday concepts too.  In order for anybody to understand
anything there'd have to be atomic concepts.  Furthermore, I'm not sure (pace
Frege) that he'd allow that concepts are the sorts of entities that can be
named.

Re the Fodor paper, when we finish TLP, I'll be seeking suggestions from
everybody for another piece to work through. In it's favor, IIRC, that paper is
a fun (and quick) read, and it's available on-line....

Walto