[Wittrs] Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: 1.21 Continued

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:57:57 +0100

OK, but that just brings me back to asking the same question over again:

"There seems here to be a confusing conflation between what we can say
and what can be (in some stronger sense than what we say there is). To
what extent, if any, is X not an idealist? If he is an
idealist, what kind of idealist is he?"

When I first asked the question, Wittgenstein was substituted in place
of X since Wittgenstein proclaims himself the author of TLP.  You could,
if you prefer, substitute various alternatives.  Pseudo-Wittgenstein?
An opponent of Wittgenstein?  A straw man?  What?

Unless we're just going to throw out most of TLP right away, it seems
that we need an answer to what the "person" who is putting forward the
arguments in the early parts of TLP thinks about the context, and
particularly about matters to do with realism/idealism.

That Wittgenstein finished up concluding that all questions about
realism and idealism are "nonsense" doesn't really respond to the question.

You can change the original