[Wittrs] [quickphilosophy] Re: 1.12; 1.13; 1.2 & 1.21

  • From: "walto" <calhorn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:34:08 -0000

Hi, Ron.

The northwest was beautiful, thanks.  I was very taken by the Olympic
Peninsula.  I also enjoyed Portland (and Powell's Books!).  Forks, WA is all
about "Twilight" these days....

W tries to answer your (excellent) questions about why "X is red" conflicts
with "X is green" in his 1929 paper, "Remarks on Logical Form."  He later
disowned that paper, but it was one of the first things he wrote after
returning to philosophy, and it seems to point up very difficult problems for
atomism.

I think that, on his view, an "X is P" statement cannot be atomic just in case
either "X" or "P" is not a simple name.  So, e.g., "Walto is Lisa's Uncle." is
complex on his view even though it isn't a negation, a conjunction, etc.  On
his view, it's analyzable, which means it isn't elementary.  He believed that
all necessary truths were analytic, so that if "X is entirely red" contradicts
"X is entirely green" both statements must be complex.  (Interestingly, Fogelin
has a paper--which I don't really understand--in which he argues that W should
have held that negative propositions are actually simple!)

Your Locke comparison seems to me interesting, because, while Locke was clearly
an empiricist and the positivists who were so taken with the Tractatus were
empiricists, W doesn't seem to have an empiricist perspective in the TLP.

A number of commentators have pressed differences between Russell's empiricism
and W's Tractarian, views based on the fact that W says nearly nothing about
epistemology in TLP and Russell's philosophy in the teens was all about
acquaintance.  Landini (in "W's Apprenticeship with Russell") argues against
that position, claiming that Russell was as much a logical atomist (and
non-empiricist) as W., but, paradoxically IMO, Landini provides a number of
Russell quotes to the effect that it is absurd (even Hegelian!) to try to
derive philosophical truths from the nature human thought, and, in a way,
that's what TLP is all about.

As we go on, we'll see that W starts out with the simple fact that we can
understand something--and in his view what we understand may be (i)
determinate, and (ii) not dependent on the truth of any other proposition.
That we can understand, e.g., "A cat is on this mat" without needing to know a
single truth about the world seems to me the most important premise he leans on
throughout the Tractatus.

But hmmm.... Was that an empirical claim of his or more akin to something we
might find in the Monadology?

Walto