quickphilosophy] Re: 1.12; 1.13; 1.2 & 1.21

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

Neil, in case it helps, the TLP was written at a time of reaction
against idealism, and when Frege's Begriffschrift was highly
influential, encouraging philosophers to think that thought was being
constrained by the inability of ordinary language to express concepts
clearly.  But maybe you knew all that.

It's odd, and Derrida often points it out forcefully, that philosophers
are so enamoured of elementary descriptive statements, such as "snow is
white".  Whereas ordinary people habitually use language primarily to
talk about their personal relationships and other such evaluative
abstractions.  They also (and I don't exclude myself) often tell lies,
even from a very early age.

iro3isdx wrote:

> If you want to know what I really think, here it is. I think the whole
> idea of a logical structuring of language, or of knowledge, or of
> thought, is absurd. It's not merely absurd - it is obvious nonsense.
> It continues to puzzle me that intelligent philosophers attempt to
> engage in such absurdity. In the case of Wittgenstein, at least he was
> able to see the absurdity in the latter part of his career.

Thanks for your comments, glad to hear from you Ron.  As it happens,
I've for a long time owned a copy of Sprigge's book "Theories of
Existence".  I recommend it :)  If you can show that my question
involves a confusion, well and good.

You say W is "making statements about objects and states of affairs" and
Walter mentions W discussing "HOW they [constituents of thought]
correspond with objects in the world".

Now one has to suppose that what W says in TLP is not necessarily what W
actually believes, but unless we take the line (gladly taken by some
commentators, notably Cora Diamond) that the TLP is literally nonsense
and has no meaning, then we seem to need to find some way to make at
least provisional sense of it.  Or, since the statements of the TLP
don't appeal to me one little bit, should I (presumptuously) assume that
I am already in the state one is supposed to attain after having climbed
up the steps of the TLP?

If we were to immediately apply the kind of strictures that are
associated with the later W, such as that philosophy mistakenly takes
ordinary terms and makes them into absolutes, then surely we would
immediately reject the introductory statements of the TLP as falling
into this trap.  For "the world" is surely used here in a sense
different from ordinary language, and a highly suspect one at that.

Whether we construe these claims as idealist or realist (and I am using
that conjunction of terms to embrace every possible position around or
between them) is at the outset a secondary issue.  But I cannot see that
it is possible to make the first few remarks of the TLP without raising
questions that can only be understood in relationship with the spectrum
of views that fall around idealism and realism.

For example, if the world is the totality of facts, don't we need to
answer the question of how and where do facts exist?  The answer to that
question seems to have profound implications for what we are being told
to see as "the world".