[Wittrs] Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: 1.12; 1.13; 1.2 & 1.21

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:18:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Neil:
Oh, OK, if your intepretation is that in 1.21, Wittgenstein is discussing
facts, not propositions, then you are probably already at the place I'm trying
to get to. If Betsy is red, that can be the case or not be the case, and
everything else, such as the Batcar being black or midnight blue, can remain
the same. This is the "facts" interpretation. However, if somebody--not you or
I, it is now seeming--should take 1.21 to be about language, then 'Betsy is
red' being the case does not allow everything else, such as 'Betsy is blue', to
remain the same.
In the world of objects and their arrangements, W then appears to be suggesting
something like an multi-dimensional objects and properties universe, where each
object is an axis and the coordinates along that axis are its possible
properties. A point in that space corresponds to a selection of properties of
each of all the objects, and each of those objects could "move" up or down its
axis, assuming this or that property appropriate to it. Of course, not all the
objects would have the same possible properties, a rock can have the property
of being round, but it can't have the property of being alive; the 'alive'
property does not appear on its object-axis.
Thanks,--Ron