[Wittrs] Re: [quickphilosophy] Next Up

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:39:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walter:

I have some wrap-up remarks on the TLP to make, but just haven't had the time;
we're trying to buy some property in the Sierra foothills right now, and I'm
half-crazy from driving across the state every weekend.

The Tractatus is a particularly difficult and inaccessible text. I saw a lot of
things in this read that I hadn't before, and that will probably happen about
the same way for the next six times I read it. Anyway, I think it's good that
we hammered at a few of the central issues and even got to the end of it,
albeit by great leaps and bounds.

As a candidate Next Up, how about Kripke's "Naming and Necessity"? A classic
modern text with some very flashy and controversial conclusions. Quick
Philosophy not Quit Philosophy. And, what would it say if after we read the
TLP, and Wittgenstein has shown thereby that all philosophy is utterly
pointless, that we give up the discussion group?

Let's not abandon ship just yet. Then too, maybe some tail-ender discussions on
the TLP will arise.

Thanks!
--Ron