Re: [quickphilosophy] Fodor on Concepts II: First argument against BCP

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:12:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walter:
The members of Fodor's BCP society hold to some very extreme positions. I have
to think, possibly along with you and Neil, that he's not fairly representing
the other side's position.
For example, in 2(i) why must the group of inferences be listable? It's clearly
countably infinite, and it can't be listed; there aren't enough elementary
particles in the universe. Take any true proposition involving C; call it P(C).
Then P(C) | Q, where Q is anything whatever is a valid inference from P(C).
We'd have to list P(C) | Q, where Q is any proposition. This is silly. The
propositions that are empirically inferred in 2(ii) is even larger, so that is
an even sillier stipulation. Nobody who thinks things like this could be called
"bare bones" conceptually pragmatic. No, they're carrying some real baggage.
So far, Fodor is not doing very well. Evidently, the argument hinges on 2(iii).
But, only orthodox Quineans are going to have a problem with this. Grice and
Strawson refuted Quine's argument against the analytic/synthetic distinction,
and all the BCPer has to do is assert the distinction.
How can you tell whether these things are true or false?
a. All bachelors are male.b. All bachelors are fat.
Quine admits that any person that is unmarried and male and adult is therefore
male. So, unless he allows definable predicates in 1st-order logic like the
rest of us logicians, but is not going to allow it in a natural language
(amazing: 1st-order logic is more expressive and more expansive than natural
language; more amazing: how did we ever learn 1st-order logic?)
So, Fodor's argument is unsound. It proceeds from one or more false premises.
Two of the premises, 2(i) and 2(ii)are obviously bogus, and no one advocates
them, so being able to reject them is irrelevant.
And, in any case, I don't see any argument that possession of the concept of C
as such avoids the pitfalls of Fodor's caricature BCP.
Hmmm...better to look at Fodor's other arguments. The obliteration of the 20th
century has only a 66% chance of success at this point.
Thanks!--Ron